Special Educational Needs (SEN) Premium
This enhanced funding is for childcare settings to help meet a child’s needs. It is only for children who get the funded early education entitlement for three-and four-year olds. This would be up to 15 hours or 30 hours if the child is eligible.
The SEN Premium would start from the term after the child's third birthday.
Qualifying for the SEN Premium
You may get this funding if:
- the child in your setting has SEN or a disability
- the Health Authority sends us a Section 23 Notice
- the child also gets the funded early education entitlement for three-and-four-year olds
How to use the SEN Premium
You can use this funding:
- to give full support to the child
- to help the child to feel included
- to help the child to take part in activities
- for resources that support the child to learn and develop
- for cover so that key staff can attend meetings with the child's parents and professionals
How to apply
You don’t have to apply for the SEN Premium. The Preschool Allocations Panel will decide if the child needs it. We will ask you for more details about the child's needs when we receive a Section 23 Notice.
You will need to email the firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your one planning.
Evidence must show:
- the child's learning and development
- the child's needs
- the targets that are in place
- an overview of discussions you've had with the child's parents
- an overview of discussions you've had with other professionals involved with the child
When we receive your evidence:
- our Preschool Allocations Panel will decide if the child needs the SEN Premium
- we will send a letter to the child's parents to confirm we have allocated the SEN Premium
- we will send you a letter to let you know how much you will receive that term
- after headcount day we will make the payment for all the FEEE hours you are claiming
- the SEN Premium will start from the term after the child's third birthday
What to do to continue getting the SEN Premium
We will need to decide if you can carry on receiving the SEN Premium each term. If you want funding to continue you must email a reviewed copy of your one planning to the email@example.com
It must show:
- the targets you have been working on
- any progress made
- how you have supported the child in a whole group, small group and individual situation
You need to send this information at the end of each term to receive SEN Premium for the following term.
For further information please see Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Guidance
For enquiries email firstname.lastname@example.org
See our range of introductory training courses to help develop your understanding of SEND.