Becoming a childminder
If you are thinking about becoming a childminder:
- complete your market research and if you are confident there is a demand for childcare in your area
- follow the government's guidance on how to register as a childminder: quick guide and specific guidance for nannies, register as a nanny: quick guide
- you must have knowledge and understanding of the early years foundation stage (EYFS) statutory framework - in Essex, we recommend that you complete the Cache level 3 award in Preparing to Work in Home-based Childcare before registration
- Complete paediatric first aid training
- Refer to Ofsted's pre-registration briefing and the Childminders and childcare providers: register with Ofsted guidance
Once you have completed all of the above, you will be ready to start your online registration with Ofsted. Ofsted aims to complete the registration process within 12 weeks.
After you are registered
Once you've registered:
- complete our free online Safeguarding level 1 course
- within six months of registration it is recommended you complete a level 2 face-to-face safeguarding course - see our training programme page.
- log in to the Essex provider portal so that your setting / provision will appear when parents are searching for childcare services through the Essex Family Information Service
Financing your business
Visit our funding section to see what financial benefits are available to you as you build your business.
HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has a range of digital support for childminders when it comes to tax.
- this recorded webinar is specially for childminders and can be watched at any time. It explains the business expenses you can claim tax relief on
- use this online course for childminders to learn about national insurance, record keeping self-assessments and more
- this ready reckoner will help you budget for your tax bill
- ask questions any time on HMRC's online customer forum
Need more help?
If you have any further enquiries about becoming a childminder, please email the early years foundation stage advisors:
Mid (Braintree, Chelmsford and Maldon) - EYAdvisers.Mid@essex.gov.uk
North east (Colchester and Tendring) - firstname.lastname@example.org
South (Basildon, Brentwood, Castlepoint and Rochford) - EYadviser.South@essex.gov.uk
West (Epping, Harlow and Uttlesford) - EYFS.email@example.com