Skip to main content

Physical Neurological Impairment Specialist Teaching Service

We work with children and young people from the ages of 0 to 25 who meet our criteria for support. This would be a significant medical and / or physical need which affects their ability to access the building or learning. You will need to let us know if you think a child in your setting needs support from us. The number of visits we make will vary from setting to setting. It depends on the child’s level of need and the staff supporting them.

Type of support

This could include some or all the following:

  • telephone calls and emails
  • face-to-face meetings and visit notes
  • signposting to useful organisations or other websites

We could also:

  • assess the physical environment
  • tell you about changes you need to make
  • link with other professionals
  • make suggestions about how to meet the child’s learning and physical or medical needs and talk about next steps

Other people we could work with are:

  • occupational therapists
  • speech and language therapists
  • physiotherapists
  • social workers

They can:

  • give information about special equipment
  • teach you how to use special equipment
  • give advice on how to move a child safely

Criteria for our possible support

We will need to know about the child's physical and / or medical needs such as:

  • how the child finds it difficult to access your setting
  • how they affect the child's ability to learn
  • any changes needed to the setting beyond that needed for any other child in the setting
  • if there is significant need for specialist equipment
  • if there is a significant need for adaptations to the physical environment

Next steps if you need further support

You will need to:

  • Make sure you have been carrying out the graduated approach.
  • Speak with the child’s parents or carers to share thoughts and to gain their views. This can be either at a meeting to review the ‘one plan’ or another appropriate time.
  • Speak to any health professionals already involved with the child. This can be an occupational therapist, physiotherapist, or health visitor.

Fill in this online form if you wish to make a referral. If you have any difficulties completing it, email and state PNI in the subject line of your email.