Characteristics of effective learning
The ways in which the child engages with other people and their environment - playing, exploring, active learning, creating and thinking critically - underpins all areas of their learning and development.
Playing and exploring - engagement
- Finding out and exploring
- Playing with what they know
- Being willing to 'have a go'.
Active learning - motivation
- Being involved and concentrating
- Keep trying
- Enjoying achieving what they set out to do.
Creating and thinking critically - thinking
- Having their own ideas
- Making links
- Choosing ways to do things
This article by the Foundation Stage Forum explores these aspects in a bit more detail.
Development Matters shows how these themes, and the principles that inform them, work together for children in the EYFS.