Free early education entitlement for two-year-olds
Some eligible two-year-olds can get up to 15 hours of free early education and childcare a week. This is a total of 570 hours per year over 38 weeks per year in term time. Funding would start in the term after the child turns two.
You may allow parents to use fewer hours per week over a longer period (stretched offer) for example over 52 weeks.
Offering two-year-old funding
Your setting may offer this funding if:
- it is a nursery or preschool
- you are a childminder or you are with a childminding agency
- it is a school or academy
If you are a childminder you cannot use the funding to look after children of your own family. For example you are the parent, grandparent, brother, sister, aunt or uncle.
Criteria for early years and childcare providers
To qualify you must:
- be registered with Ofsted
- have an Ofsted rating of good or outstanding
- have a current bank account for your business
- have a funding contract with us (Essex County Council). If you do not have a funding contract you need to fill out and submit a registration form (Word 53KB)
- be on the internet and have an email address
- follow the principles of the Prevent Duty and promote fundamental British Values
Applying for two-year-old funding
Parents should apply online. If successful, they will receive a reference number to give to you if you are their chosen provider.
Some families may need help to apply. If so, you can submit an assisted application for them on the Provider Portal. Read the Provider Portal free entitlement for two year olds user guide (PDF,584KB) for details. You will need the child's address and date of birth. Check the details on the birth certificate. We may ask for proof that you have done this so make a note of the reference number.
Once approved you must:
- submit a Placement Notification on the Provider Portal for each approved child
- fill in a parent / carer agreement form autumn 2021 (Word, 44KB) with the parent or carer
Parent / carer agreement forms
This is your contract with the child's parents or carers. They must fill in a new form each term. It explains things like:
- how parents or carers will take up their entitlement
- the stretched offer for the term
- extra charges and fees they may have to pay
From time to time we will ask to see these forms so you will need to keep them in a safe place.
We will pay you 50 per cent of your funding at the start of each term. This is based on the data collected near the end of the previous term. We aim to pay you the balance within six weeks of the headcount submissions deadline.
See details of when to submit headcount data to us.
Term dates 2021 to 2022
You can only claim FEEE for the number of weeks specified between the school term dates. These make up the 38 funded weeks in the 2021 to 2022 financial year.
|Term||Inclusive term dates||Duration of FEEE||Equivalent in hours|
|Summer 2021||12 April 2021 to 21 July 2021||13 weeks||13 weeks x 15 hours = 195 hours|
|Autumn 2021||1 September 2021 to 17 December 2021||14 weeks||14 weeks x 15 hours = 210 hours|
|Spring 2022||4 January 2022 to 1 April 2022||11 weeks||11 weeks x 15 hours = 165 hours|
|Summer 2022||18 April 2022 to 21 July 2022||13 weeks||13 weeks x 15 hours = 195 hours|
|Autumn 2022||5 September 2022 to 16 December 2022||14 weeks||14 weeks x 15 hours = 210 hours|
|Spring 2023||9 January 2023 to 31 March 2023||11 weeks||11 weeks x 15 hours = 165 hours|
- FEEE2 Parent Agreement form autumn 2021 (Word, 44KB)
- Provider Portal free entitlement for two year olds user guide (PDF,584KB)
Please email FEEEQueries@essex.gov.uk for a copy of the FEEE provider handbook.
For two-year-olds general enquiries and headcount submissions email email@example.com