Safeguarding training and development
Working Together to Safeguard Children (DfE, 2018) and The Statutory Framework for EYFS set out that providers must train all staff to understand their safeguarding policy and procedures, and ensure they have up to date knowledge of safeguarding issues. Training must enable staff to identify signs of possible abuse and neglect at the earliest opportunity, and to respond in a timely and appropriate way. In addition, Ofsted requires settings to have clear and effective arrangements for staff development and training on child protection.
To assist settings in meeting the above requirements we, in partnership with the Essex Safeguarding Children Board (ESCB), have introduced a framework for safeguarding training and also a range of resources to support settings in delivering this. This new framework includes the ESCB training levels (available on their Learning and development page) and the following:
- all staff in the EYFS sector should access Level 1 training– it is best practice to have this as part of your induction process for all new staff;
- all staff within a setting should have Level 2 training, at least annually. For those settings who wish staff to access this from an external source, our preferred provider is Anster. The Local Authority has a contract with Anster to deliver the training and sessions can be booked through the Education Essex Online Booking System.
- all Lead (Safeguarding) Practitioners must access Level 3 training. In Essex, our preferred provider is Juniper Education, although settings are free to access a different provider if they prefer. This should be undertaken every two years
Prevent training for Early Years
Thank you to those settings that attended this training on 16 March 2022 - please see below for the presentation.
To support Lead Practitioners in delivering level 2 training to all staff (if that is your preference, as opposed to buying in training), we have produced a range of presentations:
- Keeping children safe in Early Years - can be used for induction and annual training for all staff - Powerpoint, 1115KB
- Inspecting Safeguarding in Early Years - Powerpoint, 417KB
- Female Genital Mutilation - Powerpoint, 562KB
- PREVENT - Powerpoint, 875KB
Settings may wish to provide their staff with a certificate once they have completed the ECC Level 2 training, to evidence that they have accessed it.
These videos from Children and Families may also be useful to complement your staff training programme: